CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Hold Your Hat

"It is madness to wear ladies hats to church; we should all be wearing crash helmuts!
Ushers should issue life preservers and signal flares; they should lash us to our pews!
For the sleeping God may wake someday and take offense,
or the waking God may draw us out to where we can never return."
--Annie Dillard

I think of this quote sometimes when I'm sitting in church.
Looking through the beam in my own eyes, I see complacency.
We don't seem to comprehend the glories of eternity;
we aren't particularly curious about knowing more;
we're not overly concerned about how it should change us.

I wonder when God, in his infinite patience, will have had enough.

I'll never forget sitting with the children for a Primary program one day. While we were singing the very moving words to "He Died! The Great Redeemer Died" the children were combing each other's hair, hitting each other, or chattering away. I just wanted to shake them and say, "Pay attention! Don't you get what this means?! Don't you know how blessed you are?!!"

I've had similar experiences since. I often want to go and shake people.
Sometimes the offending person is me.

I, for one, have determined to try His patience a little less,
by pondering, praising, and 'ppreciating.

At least on the days I remember this quote.

3 comments:

Jill said...

I know what you mean. Our Sacrament Meeting was so fantastic today that I felt like I wanted to stand up and say "Amen Sisters" to the YW Presidency that spoke. I felt so inspired and overwhelmed that I couldn't imagine not feeling love for everybody and not wanting to do everything I could to please the Lord. But not everybody felt that way, or acted that way, or even seemed to have heard what was said today. I'm so glad that I did.

jenn said...

I should have read the entry before the other one where I mentioned the eleven year old boys because this is SO where I am at! I LOVE being the Primary President because I get to teach these children what is true and important! But I am SO aggravated as the Primary President because no one seems to hear me, especially those eleven year old boys!! I feel like Jill- I am so glad that I know it!

Micah said...

I must be the one that needs a good shake. Don't get me wrong, I hear what's being said, I feel like I understand it (most of the time), and I try to let it affect my actions. Unfortunately that last step happens far less than it should. I know I am blessed, I just wish I appreciated it more.