Many times in my life I have heard people say,
“Oh, I could never be a pioneer.”
When they think of a pioneer, they are usually thinking of the trek west. But there were many hard things that were required of the early Saints.
From the get-go the Latter-day Saints were a peculiar people.
They believed in angels, in living prophets, in modern revelation;
they left home and family to gather to Zion; they tried to live a United Order; they subscribed to a different code of health, and even practiced polygamy.
They were in many ways required to be different—
different from their families and friends,
from prevailing Christian thought,
from the mores of society,
and even from government.
For this they were mobbed and persecuted and driven from their homes.
Did they want that? Was it easy?
No, but they did it because the fire of their faith gave them the desire to, at any cost, be obedient to the Living God.
Maybe we're afraid that we couldn't have been a pioneer.
Just maybe we're afraid that we could.
Today we have our own mountains to climb.
Our mettle is being put to the test.
There are altars calling for our sacrifices.
Today we are asked to traverse a cultural wilderness (Neal A. Maxwell).
Do we need people with a greater vision for the world?
Do we need people who dare to be different?
Do we need to do hard things?
Absolutely.
And we CAN do it--
because of the light and truth that we have that the world doesn’t,
because of the fire of our faith that makes us want to be obedient at all cost, in spite of being persecuted or seeming peculiar.
And that journey, if we choose to accept it, will take us to a Promised Land, not just to the Celestial Kingdom of our God,
but to a place of freedom and peace and abundance in this life.
Whether we like to sleep under the stars or not,
we can be a pioneer --
by following a prophet,
by heeding the Voice of the Spirit,
by being obedient to the Lord at all costs.
We can, and, indeed, we must.
Friday, June 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I am definitely one of those people who thinks "I could never be a pioneer" but then again I know that we do what we have to do in the lives we've been given. So I take comfort in and have faith that the Lord puts us where we need to be, and that we're all capable of handling the "trek" we're on. I just really want to be one of the people who handle it well.
When I say I could never be a pioneer, I so totally mean I could not live in the dirt, sleep on the ground, continue walking while freezing... I can't imagine cooking with nothing, washing in rivers... I hope I can be as committed as the pioneers were! I'm just glad I get to try with a washing machine!!
I'm with Jenn. It's the cold and the dirt that make me think I couldn't have lived then. But I do hope I can be faithful and strong like they were.
I love and agree with all your comments.
I ran across this quote from Brigham Young:
"You wonder that the Saints survived. You are ready to exclaim, 'I could not have endured it.'
"I have been in the heat of it, and I never felt better in all my life. I never felt the peace and power of the Almighty more copiously poured upon me than in the keenest part of our trials. They appeared nothing to me." JD I:313
He was a man, after having been driven from several homes, served several missions at great cost, etc. tried to remove the word 'sacrifice' from his vocabulary. He felt the return was too great to call any of it a sacrifice. I think I need to put that on my fridge.
I think that we don't give ourselves enough credit for being pioneers in our own right. I think you hit the nail on the head, it wasn't just about walking to UT, but consisted of compassion, giving and sharing of what they had, building friendships, learning and growing in the teachings of the Lord and if we look at our lives today don't we as a group and as individuals do just that? I could ask any one of you to share a thought or an insight and most would gladly do it. We are all pioneers and need to realize that we may not be able to see ourselves living at that time with their trials but nor could they fathom what the future would hold. Would they want to trade places and have our trial? Probably not. Aren't we lucky to have such strong and vivid examples set for us today.
Post a Comment