CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Saturday Night Fever -- Not

Last night about this time I was sitting on the stand in our stake center. I sat by a bishop (who is also a CEO) and we were between the Dallas Temple president and his wife and the Dallas Mission president and his wife. Next to them sat our stake presidency, and not one but two General Authority Seventies. Not bad company for a nobody like me.

I was fulfilling an assignment to speak at the Saturday night adult session of our stake conference. On the morrow they will divide our stake, but for tonight there is a sea of faces that fill our large chapel, the overflow, the entire gym, and the stage. Just the “Amen” to the opening prayer is deafening.

You would think I would be scared to death. I would think I would be scared to death. All those people…..and those important people. But interestingly enough, I wasn’t.

I was worried about what to say, but once I figured that out, the people didn’t bother me at all.


You could chalk that up to my being tired, as I had stayed up half the night before.

I’m sure part of it was because I prayed for peace and calm.

But also, I am learning. This is the Lord’s church, and we are on His errand. It is not about us; it is about Him. And the Lord takes care of His business.
So I’m learning to relax more, to trust that help is near, and to have faith that all will be well.
I wasn’t disappointed.


And it's nice to pretend like I'm a grown-up once in a while.




"Say not, I am a child; for thou shalt go to all that I shall send thee. Be not afraid of their faces; for I am with thee. Then the Lord put forth his hand and touched my mouth ..and said, Behold, I have put my words in thy mouth." Jeremiah 1:7-9


"Let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed. D&C 123:17









5 comments:

Jill said...

I'm so happy to read that you feel like you're pretending to be a grown-up sometimes. It's amusing and comforting.

I also love what you said about being on the Lord's errand and it not being about us. That's so true. I feel like I have a pretty good handle on that sentiment, but it's always good to hear.

I am however disturbed that you referred to yourself as a nobody. Surely this isn't the case.

Elizabeth said...

I agree with Jill on everything she said, but mostly that you are NOT a nobody. Having had a lifetime of experience with you, I would bet your talk was one of the best of the night.

jenn said...

Why do I not recall that scripture in D&C? I really like it. And I like what you shared- we talked about it in slightly different words when you were here. (I always like your written words better than what I come up with!) He truly takes care of His business and what a blessing to be part of the work!

Wish I could have been there!

Anonymous said...

I always love the wisdom and humor that you impart. That sense of peace is so wonderful especially when speaking or teaching.

I just read a quote by Pres SWK, something to the effect that he had never been bored during a meeting, meaning that if we come prepared to learn, we will despite the preparedness of the teacher. I thought that was wonderful and all those times where I have felt bored, it was my own fault.

Thanks again.

Julie said...

My dear friend--Indeed your talk was very close to THE best talk of the night and the calm in your voice and in your spirit was beautiful.

May I never again hear you refer to yourself as a "nobody". You are someone very important and loved by many but especially by Him who created us all.